by Toby Speed
Illustrated by Barry Root
G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2000
The prize potatoes have been sitting in the Bud and Bean Arena all day, and now they want to go on the rides. Little do they know that an evil chef is right behind them. He wants potatoes for his soup!
Awards and Honors
* The New York Times Extended Children’s Best Seller List
* Publishers Weekly Children’s Bestseller List
* Blue Ribbon Winner for 2000 from the Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books
* Selected by Publishers Weekly as the book featuring the “Most Curious Anthropomorphism” in a column called “A Lighthearted Awards Ceremony”
* Reviewed on Curious Pages: Recommended Inappropriate Books for Children.
“Speed and Root bring plenty of panache to their task, stewing up a tasty goulash of a book . . . Speed’s inventive, rhythmic verse is particularly well spiced with wit.” The Horn Book
“The team behind Two Cool Cows returns in this remarkable veggie opera. This poetically phrased and oddly poignant tale might . . . [be] another omen of a budding potato-liberation movement.” Publishers Weekly
“An exciting story full of fun, complemented by delightful illustrations.” School Library Journal
Contact Toby for price and availability.